Friday, June 26, 2009

This Deliciousness Was Created
Gluten Free...



Hi there! Well, after 34 very challenging weeks we welcomed our gluten free baby into the world. While the pregnancy itself was quite difficult thanks to a placenta previa and other unexpected perinatal concerns, I firmly believe that my gluten free diet played a major role in her exquisite health when born 6 weeks early via c-section. There is no question in my mind that she would have gone full term if left to her own devices... but when the doctors saw that her umbilical cord was wrapped four times around her neck (yes, 4x!) they recommended immediate c-section to prevent decelerations or a cord compression.

So there you have it... 6 months on a modified pregnancy rest followed by eight days in the hospital and two weeks visiting a baby in the NICU, these are my main reasons for having been a HUGE SLACKER in the gluten free blogging department.

I am still ardent about a gluten free lifestyle however and intend to begin cooking and blogging again as soon as I've figured out how to juggle running a household and taking care of three tiny children simultaneously.

Here were some of the greatest benefits of my gluten free pregnancy:


  • I had more energy and patience than in the prior 2 pregnancies.

  • Gained only weight necessary to maintain a healthy pregnancy and placenta, despite eating all the time...

  • My baby was born completely healthy at 34 weeks and able to breathe on her own outside of the womb. Her only risk factor is prematurity, and other than that she is considered to be a medical miracle by her perinatologists.

  • I'm having a "textbook recovery" so far from the c-section.

  • I was able to share lots of information with my doctors and nurses at the hospital about the health benefits I've experienced living gluten free. Many of the people I chatted with seemed really interested!


Looking forward to sharing more gluten free cuisine soon... well, as soon as we've slept more than 2 hours at a time!

5 comments:

kj said...

Congratulations!
Just found your blog and I am thrilled to hear your baby news!
I look forward to reading your previous posts while we wait for you to get back up to speed!
Enjoy the baby! :)

Unknown said...

To whom it may concern;

I am writing to inform you of our new Gluten free menu. About 4 yrs ago my sister Christine and I opened nebo restaurant at 90 N. Washington St. in Boston’s North End. Nebo is a traditional Italian restaurant offering dishes based on recipes that were passed down from our mother and grandmother. After being open for about a year, two of our closest friends were told they had Celiac disease. We then realized just how many people this disease has affected and the need for an alternative for their dining restrictions. Determined to serve our friends their favorites, we set upon making our menu available in a gluten free form. We are thrilled to say that we have now produced 90% of our menu with the same great taste as our regular menu. We don't think there has been an accomplishment that has brought us more pleasure. If you would like us to forward a copy of our Gluten free menu please send a menu request to nebofunctions@gmail.com .

Ali said...

Guess what's gluten free, dairy free, soy free and AWESOME!
Organic Chocolate Chip Macaroons!

We have dessert covered, now we just need to come up with the rest of the meal...I think we could do potato salad too if we use TJ's real mayo (no soybean oil.)

I love your gluten free miracle! As soon as you are up for it, let me know, so I can come over and give her some snuggles.

PS - I'm going to try making an almond macaroon next...yum!

Katie Benn said...

Oh my gosh! Congrats! I knew you'd have a girl! YAY I'm glad despite the early birth that everything went so smoothly to welcome the precious little one! I'm also glad you are healing so well :) Happy Mommy-hood! I can't wait until we get pregnant!

Hua said...

Hi strivingChef,

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you and your family. I can't believe her umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck for times. That is so crazy!! I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

Best,
Hua